Tombs of Biblical Figures
WHS which contain a tomb attributed (correctly or by legend) to a "Biblical figure". Several figures "have" tombs in multiple locations according to different religious traditions. The "Bible" is defined as including any book in any Jewish or Christian tradition. Excluding partial "relics" held in reliquaries etc as opposed to a "tomb" supposedly containing a complete body.
The connection belongs to Religion and Belief connections.
- Aleppo: The Great Mosque - The tomb of Zechariah Father of John the Baptist (not to be confused with the Old Testament prophet of same/similar name). He is mentioned in both the Bible (Luke 1:67-79) and the Quran. Muslim tradition places his tomb in the Great Mosque of Aleppo. See Link
- Ephesus: Basilica of St John "stands over the believed burial site of John the Apostle" (Wiki). See Link
- Old City of Jerusalem: Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Jesus)
- Samarkand: another supposed location of the Tomb of Daniel. The "Khodja Daniyar" mausoleum (an alternative tradition is that it is the tomb of an early muslim preacher) See Link
- Vatican City: St Peter's Cathedral - St Peter's tomb Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Tombs of Biblical Figures?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source