WHS playing a role in the theories and works of Thor Heyerdahl, Norwegian adventurer and ethnographer (1914-2002). The "Thor Heyerdahl Archives" were added to UNESCO's "Memory of the World" Register in 2011.
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Galapagos Islands: Following the success of the Kon-Tiki Expedition, Heyerdahl organized and led the Norwegian Archaeological Expedition to the Galapagos Islands. The group investigated the pre-Columbian habitation sites, locating an Inca flute and shards from more than 130 pieces of ceramics which were later identified as pre-Incan. (1952)
- Gobustan Rock Art: Linking Gobustan's Boat Petroglyphs with the spread of Azeri civiliation to northern Europe Link
- Rapa Nui: Organized an expedition there in 1955-1956, researching new theories for the island's history and its moai Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Thor Heyerdahl?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source