WHS which in which the production or trade in Sugar played a significant role.
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Aapravasi Ghat: The Ghat was the arrival point for c half a million indentured labourers coming from India to work in the sugar plantations of Mauritius.
- Antigua Naval Dockyard: "Its aim was to protect the interests of sugar cane planters " (UNESCO)
- Bordeaux: 18th century sugar trade
- Bridgetown: the fortified port town was able to establish its importance in the British Atlantic trade and became an entrepôt for goods, especially sugar, and enslaved persons destined for Barbados and the rest of the Americas (unesco website)
- Cienfuegos: Cienfuegos blossomed as a port in the 19th century due to a boom in the regional sugar trade
- Liverpool: Sugar from the West Indies and Mauritius was one of the most important of the goods shipped into the port. Nomination File :- "A million tons of sugar and molasses were imported annually from the Caribbean, South Africa and Mauritius, and the second largest sugar silo in the world with a capacity of 150,000 tons was built ... in 1957 for Tate and Lyles" (This, the UK's largest sugar company, had its origins in the city from the company formed there in 1869 by Henry Tate). The Nomination File identifies a number of buildings which were connected with the trade including the "Site of the first sugar refinery (sugar house) in Liverpool, a five-storey building erected by Richard Cleveland and Daniel Danvers between 1670 and 1673".
- Rio de Janeiro: sugar plantations on the Tijuca (middle 17th century)
- Susa: sugar cane factory (12th century CE)
- The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier: Cité Frugès: This unique venture was initially commissioned in 1924 by the local industrialist Henry Frugès (1879-1974), whose wealth had been built on the success of his sugar refinery business Link
- Trinidad and the Valley de los Ingenios: Valley de los Ingenios: "a living museum of the sugar industry featuring 75 ruined sugar mills..."
- Wet Tropics of Queensland: Deforestation for sugar plantations has had a significant negative role in defining the areas of inscribed remnant rainforest. Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Sugar?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source