A stratovolcano, also known as a composite volcano, is a tall, conical volcano built up by many layers (strata) of hardened lava, tephra, pumice, and volcanic ash. They are among the most common types of volcanoes, in contrast to the less common shield volcanoes. (wiki)
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Guanacaste: there are two main volcanic complexes in the inscribed area, that each include various stratovolcanoes: the Orosí-Orosilito-Cacao complex in Guanacaste NP and the Rincón de la Vieja-Santa María complex in the Rincón de la Vieja National Park Link
- Isole Eolie: Stromboli
- Kilimanjaro National Park
- Mount Etna
- Mount Hamiguitan
- Mount Kenya
- Ogasawara Islands: The two islands from the Kazan Group are mountainous with both islands formed from the summits of giant submarine stratovolcanos. (AB ev)
- Pico Island
- Quito: Quito wraps around the eastern slopes of Pichincha Volcano
- Sangay National Park
- Teide National Park
- Tongariro National Park: Mount Ruapehu
- Volcanoes of Kamchatka
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Stratovolcanoes?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source