The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Agadez: It also formed part of the Saharan 'Salt Route' leading towards the Sahel in Africa (AB ev)
- Ancient ksours: Oualata (Walata) was a centre of salt trade.
- Avignon: At the foot of the bridge there used to be a salt store. It was located on a salt trade route.
- Fortifications of Vauban: Saint-Martin-de-Ré: "Durant le XVIIIe siècle, le port est très actif avec le commerce du sel, du vin et des eaux de vie." (wiki fr)
- Grand Canal: Yangzhou - 2 elelemtns within this city are the "Salt Ancestral Temple" and the "Former Residence of Lu Shaoxu, a Salt Merchant". A major role of the Canal was to transport salt from south to north. Yangzhou was the administrative center of the Lianghuai sector of the Government's Salt monopoly during the Ming period. See Link
- Ibiza: Ses Salines
- Lübeck: Salt storehouses
- Regensburg: Salzstadl (1597), a warehouse for salt on Stadamthof
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans
- Timbuktu: Salt trade
- Tokaji Wine Region: Tokaj was an important medievil centre of the salt trade.
- Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Salt?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source