King of England from 6 July 1189 until his death in 1199. Named Lionheart because of his reputation as a great military leader and warrior.
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Corfu: "Disguised as a Knight Templar, Richard sailed from Corfu with four attendants"
- Dubrovnik: "In the bay of Dubrovnik is the 72-hectare wooded island of Lokrum, where according to legend, Richard the Lionheart was cast ashore after being shipwrecked in 1192." (Wiki)
- Loire Valley: Crossed Tours with his army
- Old City of Acre: Landed 1191
- Vézelay: Spent three months at the abbey in 1190
- Wachau Cultural Landscape: Prisoner at Duernstein
- Westminster: Crowned
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Richard Lionheart?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source