Railway systems and train stations
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Al-Hijr: The archaeolgoical area of Al hijr (and thus the inscribed area too) includes remains of the Hejaz railway which the Saudis offer as a "Historic Site" (Restored and unrestored locomotives, Station, Railway shed etc). The Railway is NOT included in the justification criteria though it gets 3 pages of description in the nomination file and its existance is mentioned by ICOMOS.
- Alto Douro: the construction of the Douro railway line (1873-87) encouraged this expansion (AB ev)
- Aranjuez: Railway station (1851), on the first railway line in Spain, from Madrid to Aranjuez
- Atapuerca: The 3 main caves of Grand Dolina, Galeria and Elefante were first discovered when a railway cutting ("Trinchera") was made through the limestone between 1896 ad 1901. See - Link
- Auschwitz Birkenau
- Australian Convict Sites: First railway in Australia (Port Arthur)
- Blaenavon Industrial Landscape: Hills Tramroad completed 1817 (Horsedrawn on iron rails)
- Blenheim Palace: Toy train railway and station
- Bordeaux: Gare Saint Jean and its Rail Bridge designed by Gustav Eiffel
- Budapest: Continental Europe's first underground railway
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
- City of Bath: Railway elements within the City Centre, among which: Bath Spa Railway station (built in 1840). An interesting aside is the fact that this site and others in Bath are ALSO included within the UK T List site of "Great Western Railway Paddington to Bristol Selected parts"
- Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape: "A high-quality transport network involving canals, railways and tramways connecting mines to ports was constructed in the early 19th century. This included ... tramways and railways at Poldice Plateway, Redruth & Chasewater Railway, Liskeard & Caradon Railway and the East Cornwall Mineral Railway."
- Derwent Valley Mills Link
- Falun Great Copper Mountain: Old Railway inside the mine
- Florence: Santa Maria Novella railway station (1934), one of the most important landmarks in Italy?s modern architecture
- Forth Bridge: it's a passenger and freight rail bridge
- Grand Canyon: Grand Canyon Depot, also known as Grand Canyon Railroad Station, was constructed in 1909-10 for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, in what is now Grand Canyon National Park. It is one of three remaining railroad depots in the United States built with logs as the primary structure material. (wiki) Link
- Great Smoky Mountains: Little River Railroad
- Hallstatt-Dachstein: Salzkammergutbahn Link
- Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works: Remains of railway line that joined Santa Laura to Humberstone
- Karlskrona: Old Railway to the Naval Port under the City Square
- Kasbah of Algiers: The algiers Metro is currently being extended under the Kasbah Link
- La Chaux-de-Fonds / Le Locle: Le Locle (station with murals)
- Machu Picchu: Part of the Railway track lies within the core zone Link
- Mountain Railways of India
- Neolithic Flint Mines at Spiennes: "The digging of a railway line in 1867 cut through 25 mining shafts and is the origin of the discovery of the site".(UNESCO). The line ran from Mons to Chimay and is now closed but its line runs across the site)
- Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin: 3 railway stations for heavy transport were built (AB ev)
- Oporto: Sao Bento's Station
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: Mus?e d'Orsay is housed in the former railway station, the Gare d'Orsay.
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal : Ruabon Brook Railway branch at Trevor Basin: Narrow-gauge railway track and siding on the west side of Trevor Basin for a railway-canal interchange. Plus Ruabon Brook Railway pier and Railway buildings, Bryn-Howel railway bridge, Plâs-Ifan Limestone Railway wharf and Sun Trevor limestone railway wharf, Chirk Railway Viaduct
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands: The area was almost inaccessible, except by sea, until the Genoa-La Spezia railway was built in the l870s (AB ev)
- Potsdam: Kaiserbahnhof Potsdam
- Prague: Central Station and Masaryk's Station
- Quebrada de Humahuaca: The valley is crossed by an early 20th century railway (now defunct)
- Rhaetian Railway
- Rio de Janeiro: Corcovado Rack Railway Link
- Rjukan / Notodden: two railways lines
- Semmering Railway
- Serra de Tramuntana: Train from Palma to Soller Link
- Sewell Mining Town: Rail was the only means of transport (besides on foot), station and tracks still exist
- St. Petersburg: Leningrad - Pavlovsk railway
- Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch: Jungfraubahn
- Vienna: Karlsplatz Stadbahn Station and Stadtbahn
- Wachau Cultural Landscape: Wachaubahn
- Wet Tropics of Queensland: The Kuranda Scenic Railway passes through the Barron Gorge National Park Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Railways?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source