Petroglyphs are images created by removing part of a rock surface by incising, pecking, carving, and abrading.
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Air and Téneré
- Brú na Bóinne
- Caral-Supe : Several, including serpents and symbols
- Central Amazon Conservation Complex
- Chaco Culture
- Coa Valley and Siega Verde
- Desembarco del Granma National Park: pre-pottery making culture (ceremonial squares, dozens of archeological sites, petroglyphs, pictographs, etc.). (Nom file)
- El Fuerte de Samaipata: Pre-Inca carvings
- Gobustan Rock Art
- Golden Mountains of Altai
- Gorham's Cave Complex: A controversial symbolic engraving in Gorham's Cave Link
- Greater Blue Mountains: Wollemi
- Hawaii Volcanoes: Pu'u Loa Petroglyph Field
- Ischigualasto / Talampaya: At Talampaya
- Lena Pillars
- Lopé-Okanda: 1,800 to 2,000 petroglyphs
- Los Glaciares Link
- Olympic National Park
- Orkhon Valley: "Scattered widely across the nominated site are extensive remains of hundreds of Bronze Age graves some with stones engraved with herds of deer and images of the sun and moon."
- Petroglyphs of the Mongolian Altai
- Pitons Management Area: petroglyphs... prove the existence of an Amerindian Carib population (UNEP-WCMC)
- Qhapaq Ñan: Cabuyal
- Rapa Nui
- Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve
- Rock Art in the Hail Region
- Rock Art of Alta
- Rock Carvings in Tanum
- Rock Drawings in Valcamonica
- Tadrart Acacus
- Tassili n'Ajjer
- Tower of Hercules: Monte dos Bicos
- Tsingy de Bemaraha: A number of ancient cemeteries occur on the plateau and in a cave in the Manambolo Gorge which has petroglyphs doubtfully attributed to the proto-Malagasy Vazimba people (UNEP-WCMC)
- Tsodilo: Stone snake
- Uvs Nuur Basin: At Yamaalig
- Viñales Valley: In several caves Link
- Vredefort Dome Link
- Wadi Rum: over 25,000 petroglyphs (images engraved or painted on rocks) and around 20,000 examples of rock epigraphy (engraved inscriptions) (AB ev)
- Whale Sanctuary of El Vizcaino: There are a number of prehistoric sites of importance on the peninsula, as well as petroglyphs, wall paintings and ancient ruined structures
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Petroglyphs?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source