WHS which are or were once a "Pentapolis" or a part of one. "A Pentapolis is a geographic and/or institutional grouping of five cities" See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentapolis.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Cyrene: The Western part of Cyrenaica as colonised by the Greeks from c 600BC "comprising five cities, hence known as the Pentapolis: Cyrene .. with its port of Apollonia (Marsa Susa), Arsinoe or Taucheira (Tocra), Euseperides or Berenice (near modern Benghazi), Balagrae (Bayda) and Barce(Mari) ... of which the chief was the eponymous Cyrene. The term "Pentapolis" continued to be used as a synonym for Cyrenaica" (Wiki). From 296, when Diocletian reorganised Cyrenaica into 2 provinces one, containing Cyrene, was called "Libia Pentapolis"
- M'Zab Valley: The fortified towns of Ghardaia, Bounoura, Melika, Beni Isguen and El Atteuf are often referred to as the "M'zab Pentapolis" as they are closely situated together in the Mzab valley and share the same culture/religion etc Link
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands: Cinque Terre
- Ravenna: a Pentapolis including: Ravenna, Forlì, Forlimpopoli, Classe, Caesarea
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Pentapolis?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source