WHS that served as Venues for the Modern Olympic Games
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Central University City Campus of the UNAM: venue for athletics and ceremony events in Mexico 1968
- Great Wall: Men's Cycling Race - Beijing 2008: "After two sweeping right turns in the final kilometer, the final 350m is up a short but moderately steep climb that passes under the South Gate of the Great Wall, which was built in the 14th century, to assure an exciting finale."
- Kremlin and Red Square: Moscow 1980: Marathon passed St. Basil's Link
- Maritime Greenwich: venue for equestrian events in London 2012
- Mexico City and Xochimilco: Zócalo, venue for athletics (marathon start) in Mexico 1968
- Olympia: venue for shot put events in Athens 2004
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: Tuileries Garden, venue for fencing in Paris 1900
- Rhaetian Railway: The remarkable role played by the region of Saint-Moritz in the creation and development of winter sports was recognised when the first Winter Olympic games were held there in 1928, and subsequently in 1948. (Unesco website)
- Rio de Janeiro: Men's Cycling Race - Rio de Janeiro 2016: The last half of the race featured three summits through the Serra de Carioca of Tijuca National Park and past the Jardim Botânico as part of the Vista Chinesa Circuit Link
- Rome: venue for many events including gymnastic, wrestling etc. in Rome 1960
- Royal Exhibition Building: venue for basketball, fencing, weightlifting and wrestling events in Melbourne 1956
- Sydney Opera House: venue for triathlon events in Sydney 2000 Link
- Temple of Heaven: Marathon Beijing 2008 did pass within the core zone
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Olympic Venues?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source