Individual trees or set of trees that are particularly remarkable for their size, age or history. This excludes entire forests that do not have at least one or a few trees that stand out.
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Angkor: Ta Prohm Link
- Anuradhapura: the sacred bodhi tree
- Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Bialowieza Forest: Several named oaks Link
- Fujisan: 1000 years old cypress of Kitaguchi Hongu Fuji Sangen Jinja
- Greater Blue Mountains: Wollemia nobilis
- Huangshan: Huangshan pine Link
- Laponian Area: Muddus NP: Sweden's oldest known pine tree is also located here. It has been estimated to be at least 710 years, as it was found to have withstood a forest fire in 1413. (wiki)
- Los Alerces National Park: including Argentina’s oldest known tree (2,600 yrs) (AB ev)
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex: the sacred bodhi tree of Lord Buddha
- Mapungubwe: Giant Baobabs
- Mount Etna: The Hundred Horse Chestnut (Castagno dei Cento Cavalli) is the largest and oldest known chestnut tree in the world. It is located on Linguaglossa road in Sant'Alfio, on the eastern slope of Mount Etna (wiki)
- Namhansanseong: "A zelkova in front of Pavilion for Command and Military Training is assumed to be 510 years old, and it is designated as a Protected Tree of Gwangju City, No 14. It is 24m in height and 8.9m in circumference." - Nomination File
- Ohrid Region: The small cobblestone square near the market is dominated by a large plane tree (Platanus Orientalis), one of Ohrid's best loved landmarks. The tree is 800-900 years old. Its trunk is approximately 20m wide. It has become hollow and in the past has been home to a small barber's shop and a small café.
- Olympic National Park: “ It contains one of the world’s largest stands of virgin temperate rainforest, and includes many of the largest coniferous tree species on earth." Criteria (vii) for Inscription "The Olympic rainforest, which reaches its maximum development within the site is, sitka spruce, Douglas fir, western red cedar, and others reach a living standing biomass here which may be the highest of anywhere in the world. " Advisory body Evaluation Official NPS park map includes locations for 3 Big Sitka Spruce Trees, 1 Big Cedar Tree, and 1 Big Douglass-fir Tree.
- Qadisha Valley: Cedrus lebani
- Redwood: Coastal Redwood, the tallest and one of the most massive tree species on Earth
- Singapore Botanic Gardens : Heritage Rubber, Tembusu Tree
- Socotra Archipelago: dragon's blood tree
- Temple of Heaven: Nine Dragons Tree
- Yakushima: Endemic Japanese cedar, Jomon Sugi
- Yosemite National Park: Sequoia Groves, Mariposa Grove : Grizzly Giant, Wawona Tree
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Notable Trees?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source