Modern Urban Planning
WHS dating from the late 19th, 20th or 21st century, where "Town Planning" or "Urban Planning" are cited (using those phrases) in the Statement of OUV, Criteria or description.
The connection belongs to Architecture connections.
- Asmara: "The creation of a complete urban landscape arising from the early implementation and continuous adaptation and development of modern urban planning theory in an African context at a vital stage in human history – between two world wars – is one of Asmara’s unique qualities" - see "brief description of nominated site" Link
- Berlin Modernism Housing Estates: improving housing and living conditions for people with low incomes through novel approaches to town planning (brief description)
- Brasilia: Brasilia, a capital created ex nihilo in the centre of the country in 1956, was a landmark in the history of town planning.
- Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas: Criterion i :The Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas is a masterpiece of modern city planning, architecture and art, created by the Venezuelan architect Carlos Raúl Villanueva and a group of distinguished avant-garde artists.
- La Chaux-de-Fonds / Le Locle: The urban planning of both towns has accommodated the transition from the artisanal production of a cottage industry to the more concentrated factory production of the late 19th and 20th centuries
- Le Havre: Criterion (iv): Le Havre is an outstanding post-war example of urban planning and architecture based on the unity of methodology and system of prefabrication, the systematic use of a modular grid and the innovative exploitation of the potential of concrete.
- Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin: Criterion (iv): The living and evolving mining landscapes of the Nord-Pas de Calais Basin provide an eminent example of the large-scale development of coal mining in the 19th and 20th centuries, by large industrial companies and their considerable workforce. This is a space structured by urban planning, specific industrial structures and the physical vestiges of coal extraction (slag heaps and subsidence).
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: Haussmann's wide squares and boulevards influenced late 19th- and 20th-century town planning the world over.
- Prague: The city is rich in outstanding monuments from all periods of its history. Of particular importance are .... the late 19th century buildings and town plan of the Nave Mĕsto.
- Rabat: Criterion (iv): The city constitutes an outstanding and fully realized example of modern town planning, for a 20th century capital city, achieved by functional territorial organisation which incorporates the cultural values of the past in the modernist project. The synthesis of decorative, architectural and landscape elements, and the interplay between present and past, offer an outstanding and refined urban ensemble.
- Riga: The property is an outstanding example of the building reform movement that contributed to improving housing and living conditions for people with low incomes through novel approaches to town planning, architecture and garden design.
- Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District: "Anchored by the Modernist Chilehaus office complex, the Kontorhaus district attests to architectural and city-planning concepts that emerged in the early 20th century." (AB)
- The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier
- Vienna: The city walls were razed to ground in 1857 in order to create the Ringstrasse, an outstanding example of 19th century town planning
- White City of Tel-Aviv: Criterion (iv): The White City of Tel Aviv is an outstanding example of new town planning and architecture in the early 20th century, adapted to the requirements of a particular cultural and geographic context.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Modern Urban Planning?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source