WHS connected to famous / notable masks, or traditions involving masks
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Ancient Thebes: Burial mask of Tutankhamun's mummy
- Bassari Country: especially within the age-passage rites that dances and masks play an important role (AB ev)
- Cliff of Bandiagara: The Dogon have complex religious rituals that involve animal masks.
- Hahoe and Yangdong: Hahoe Byeolsingut Tallori (Masked-dance Drama of Hahoe Village, Important Intangible Cultural Property No. 69)- Nomination File
- Itsukushima Shrine: Itsukushima's Shinto priest wears golden mask topped with dragon during the Shinto ritual dance.
- Mycenae and Tiryns: Mycenae - Mask of Agamemnon was discovered here in 1876 by Heinrich Schliemann. The artifact is a funeral mask hewn in gold (wiki) Link
- SGang Gwaay: Among the Haida, masks were used mostly by members of the secret societies. Link
- Teotihuacan: Jade mask found inside Pyramid of the Sun Link
- Venice and its Lagoon: Venetian masks are a centuries-old tradition of Venice. The masks are typically worn during the Carnevale (Carnival of Venice), but have been used on many other occasions in the past, usually as a device for hiding the wearer's identity and social status. (wiki) Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Masks?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source