Latrines at WHS which are
a. Historic or artistic
b. "On show"
c. In recognisable condition
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Aapravasi Ghat: Lavatories one of the few remaining features
- Anuradhapura: "Urinal Stones"/"Sqattting plates". Link
- Auschwitz Birkenau
- Baekje Historic Areas: Archaeological Site in Wanggung-ri “Three units of large toilet were found lying in a row from east to west. Among them, Toilet No. 1 is 10.8m long, 1.8m wide, and 3.4m deep. These large toilets seemed to be used by ministers or court servants living in the royal palace. This was the first large ancient toilets found in Korea as an important archeological discovery. The remains have been covered with a protective layer of soil for conservation. Wooden strips for toilet discovered at the sites are housed at the Buyeo National Research Institute.” - Nomination File
- Castel del Monte: Of special interest is the unique hydraulic installation for bath and toilet (AB ev) / The toilets are situated in other towers. They are furnished of lavatory and washbasin and placed side by side by little rooms probably used as changing rooms or appointed for housing bathtubs for the ablutions (link) Link
- Crespi d'Adda: public lavatories
- Derwent Valley Mills: Heritage listed privies, Cromford Link
- Ephesus Link
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire: Hadrians Wall Housesteads Link
- Gwynedd Castles: Conwy Castle "Latrine shoots" in wall Link
- Hierapolis-Pamukkale Link
- Incense Route of the Negev: Mamshit
- Leptis Magna Link
- Moenjodaro Link
- Old City of Jerusalem: Archaeological park - Roman Latrinae
- Polonnaruva: ancien toilet
- San Agustín Link
- Site of Carthage Link
- Studley Royal Park: Fountains Abbey The "Reredorter" Link
- Villa Adriana (Tivoli)
- Visby: latrine cellar
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Latrines?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source