WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from Iron Age constructions. The Iron Age is the archaeological period generally occurring after the Bronze Age, marked by the prevalent use of iron. The dates and context vary depending on the geographical region.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Al Ain: "Iron Age settlement at Hili Archaeological Park" (AB ev)
- Brú na Bóinne: defense ditches around the central mound in Knowth
- Dacian Fortresses: The hill-fort and its evolved successor, the oppidum, were characteristic of the Late Iron Age in Europe (AB ev)
- Fossil Hominid Sites: Makapan Valley - findings at Cave of the Hearths
- Hallstatt-Dachstein: Halstatt culture was an (early) Iron Age culture
- High Coast / Kvarken Archipelago: Remains were found
- Lake Malawi: Archaeological evidence points to a long period of human occupation with sites dating back to the Iron Age in the 4th century. (AB ev)
- Petra: the Iron Age settlement on Umm al Biyara (OUV statement)
- Petroglyphs of the Mongolian Altai: "This period, which coincides with the Scythian Period, reflects the development of a completely horsedependent, herding culture that dominated the steppes of Eurasia. The images are scenes of hunting and riding,." (AB ev)
- Southern Öland: "Large burial grounds from the Iron Age testify to a rich and important pre-history. The present agricultural community has a continuity which partly extends as far back as the Iron Age." - nomination file
- Tchogha Zanbil: Iranian Iron Age, ca. 1250 BC
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Iron Age?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source