Hyopgea are underground, pre-Christian temples or tombs.
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Gebel Barkal: AB evaluation Unlike the Egyptian pyramids which were built to enclose and hide the burial chamber,the Napatan ones are commemorative monuments to the deceased, buried in a hypogeum underneath. In front of the pyramid a small temple was built, for offerings.
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum
- Ibiza: The underground tombs in the Puig des Molins necropolis are described as "Hypogea" Link
- Palmyra: Hypogeum of the 3 Brothers
- Syracuse: Ipogeo di Piazza Duomo
- Thracian tomb of Sveshtari
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Hypogea?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source