Process of mass migration of people.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Aapravasi Ghat: Immigration depot for Indian indentured labourers to work in the sugar plantations of Mauritius, or to be transferred elsewhere
- Australian Convict Sites
- Fray Bentos: Most workers and residents were immigrants from 60 different countries
- Goias: Goiás is the last remaining example of the occupation of the interior of Brazil (AB ev)
- Granada: Alhambra Decree, ordering the expulsion of all Jews from the Kingdom of Spain
- Liverpool: Port of mass migration for Europeans to USA
- Lopé-Okanda: Evidence of major migration route of Bantu and other peoples
- Statue of Liberty: Statue welcoming arriving immigrants
- Taputapuātea: Connected to human expansion into eastern Polynesia by ocean-going canoe
- Valongo Wharf
- Valparaiso: Consistent with its pre-eminence, the city was populated and influenced by people from around the world. The urban fabric and cultural identity of Valparaíso are thus distinguished by a diversity that sets it apart from other Latin American cities. (Unesco website)
- White City of Tel-Aviv: "There was a great affinity between the Modern Movement and the local needs of the Jewish settlement in Palestine, whose main purpose was to supply the physical structure of the Jewish homeland as soon as possible, vis-á-vis accelerating waves of immigrations." (AB evaluation)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Human Migration?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source