In art, grotesques are a decorative form of arabesques with interlaced garlands and strange animal figures.
The connection belongs to Architecture connections.
- Florence: Grotticina at Boboli Gardens
- La Lonja de la Seda: "It is lit by soaring Gothic windows, the external frames of which, like the doors, are exuberantly ornamented, notably by a series of grotesque gargoyles." (AB ev)
- Rome: Domus Aurea
- Vatican City: Raphael's Loggias
- Vicenza: Villa Badoer in Fratta Polesine
- Vienna: Hall of Grotesque, Lower Belvedere
- Villa d'Este
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Grotesques?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source