Defensive Walls/Ramparts which marked the boundaries/frontier of an Empire or Kingdom (as opposed to "City Walls" around a town/city).
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Derbent: The 2 walls within which the city developed were "part of the northern limes of the Sasanian Persian Empire, which extended to east and west of the Caspian Sea"
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire
- Great Wall
- Old City of Jerusalem: The wall surrounding the Old Town of Jerusalem partially served as the border between Israel and Jordan in 1948-1967
- Silk Roads: Part of Great Wall included
- Vatican City: Vatican City Wall between Italy and Holy See
- Wachau Cultural Landscape: Roman Walls in Mautern as part of the limes
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Frontier walls?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source