The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Istanbul: Hagia Sophia was the third Christian church on the site - the 2nd was burnt down in the Nika Revolt on 13/14 Jan 532. The new construction was ordered within days by Justinian himself and took only 5 years to build. He was present at the consecration and, according to legend, commented "Solomon, I have surpassed thee".
- Ravenna: The Church of San Vitale, dating from 548, was built under the sponsorship of Justinian I and his wife Theodora who both are memorialized in mosaics on the North and South walls of the apse. How "personal" this sponsorship was is disputed and indeed a construction of this name had been commenced prior to Ravenna's capture from the Ostrogoths by Justinian's general Belisarius in 540 (after which Ravenna was made the seat of Byzantine government in Italy). The design does appear however to have been completely revamped and it has been suggested that it reflects that "of the Byzantine Imperial Palace Audience Chamber, of which nothing at all survives".
- Saint Catherine Area: The Walls and Basilica were constructed in 527 A.D on the orders of Justinian to protect and enhance the Chapel of the Burning Bush.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Emperor Justininian?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source