Archeological sites excavated before the 20th century.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Ancient Thebes: Belzoni and Carter discovered many of the tombs in the 19th century. This was the first attempt to systematically excavate the Valley of the Kings, which had been a well-known source for antiques long before.
- Pompei: Excavation of Herculaneum started at 1738. It was the first site ever to have been excavated.
- Troy: Excavation by Schliemann and Calvert started at 1865. It was the first time a historical text was connected to an archaeological excavation. This was also the first stratigraphic excavation.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Early Archaeology?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source