Dance of Death
WHS where representations of the Dance of Death or Danse Macabre are or have been displayed.
The Dance of Death is an artistic genre of late-medieval allegory on the universality of death: no matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites all. The Danse Macabre consists of the dead or personified Death summoning representatives from all walks of life to dance along to the grave, typically with a pope, emperor, king, child, and labourer. (wiki)
The connection belongs to Religion and Belief connections.
- Lübeck: St. Mary's Church: originally a 15th century painting was displayed here, nowadays stained glass windows with the theme Link
- Old City of Berne: Stained glass window at the Bern Minister. The figures on the Münster window were done by Niklaus Manuel between 1516 and 1519 (wiki) Link
- Salzburg: At St. Peter's cemetery
- Tallinn: Painting in St. Nicholas Church Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Dance of Death?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source