Cultural sites connected to Cliffs
Cultural sites where the OUV fully or partly derives from being constructed in / on a cliff.
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Ancient ksours: Ouadane is built into a cliff
- Australian Convict Sites: Great North Road - The route up Devines Hill was cut into the cliff face Link
- Baekje Historic Areas: Nakhwaam Rock, The Cliff of Falling Flowers “Nakhwaam Cliff and spring sites in Busosanseong Fortress form the background to many legends related to the royal family of Baekje.” - Nomination File
- Bamiyan Valley: Bamiyan Buddha built into the cliff
- Cliff of Bandiagara
- Costiera Amalfitana
- Gorham's Cave Complex
- Hahoe and Yangdong: Hahoe and Yangdong "Gyeomamjeongsa Study Hall was built in 1567 by Ryu Ul-lyong. Set on the western end of the Buyongdae Cliff it is framed by pine forest, and has picturesque views out over the Hwacheon Stream to the hills beyond." "Wonjijeongsa Study Hall was built in 1576 by Ryu Seong-ryong on the edge of the river for his own study and for teaching. It consists of a study hall and an elevated square pavilion, from which there are views out across the river to the pine forests of Buyongdae Cliff and beyond to Mount Wonjisan." Link
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump
- Karlskrona: the Polhem dock, is cut in the cliff itself and is still in use
- Koguryo Kingdom: "Geographical conditions were best used in the building of city walls, which reflected the architectual characteristics of the Koguryeo mountain city. The precipitous cliffs at the southeastern corner were used as the city walls. The seams were filled by stone tablets. Some of the other parts of the city walls were also built this way." - Nomination File
- Le Morne
- Mesa Verde
- Mont-Saint-Michel: cliffs of Champeaux
- Mount Athos: "Over 1,000 monks live there in communities or alone, as well as in the 'desert' of Karoulia where cells cling to the cliff face rising steeply above the sea." (AB ev)
- Mount Emei, including Leshan Giant Buddha: Le Shan Buddha built into the cliff
- Mount Wuyi
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands: Cinque Terre's villages are built along the cliffs
- Qadisha Valley: Hermitages
- Rio Abiseo National Park
- Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France: Rocamadour Link
- Sceilg Mhichíl
- Wudang Mountains: 72 cliff temples
- Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cultural sites connected to Cliffs?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source