Contiguous National Sites
WHS which "abut" each other within the same country (ie excluding "Transnational" abutting sites which already have their own "connection"). Different from "Inscribed twice or more" because the 2 sites are exclusive from each other.
The connection belongs to Geography connections.
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex: Changdeokgung Palace and Jongmyo Shrine are abutting sites
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire: In Germany, with Upper Middle Rhine Valley
- Great Barrier Reef: With Wet Tropics of Queensland, off Cape Tribulation
- Jongmyo Shrine: Changdeokgung Palace and Jongmyo Shrine are abutting sites
- Ngorongoro: Abuts Serengeti NP
- Pienza: With Val d'Orcia
- Rock Paintings of the Sierra de San Francisco: Is completely surrounded by the land area of the Vizcaino site but was extracted from that nomination at the evaluation/inscription stage "Following the recommendation of the Bureau, the original nomination of the mixed site of El Vizcaino was resubmitted as separate cultural and natural nominations" (Report of the 17th session of the WHC). Its evaluation document is however still titled "Vizcaino"!
- Serengeti: Abuts Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley: With Frontiers of the Roman Empire
- Val d'Orcia: With Pienza
- Wet Tropics of Queensland: With Great Barrier Reef, off Cape Tribulation
- Whale Sanctuary of El Vizcaino: Abuts Rock Paintings of Sierra San Francisco
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Contiguous National Sites?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source