The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Australian Convict Sites: "Coal Mines Historic Site is also located on the Tasman Peninsula in Tasmania, on Norfolk Bay. This punishment station operated from 1833 to 1848, for the operation of a coal-mine. Coal extraction continued until the 1880s,....... The site includes ..... the four pitheads,"
- Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe: "The water used for the Romantic Water Features is taken from the Drusel Creek and from the mine water of the former Zeche Herkules coalmine" and "The water emerging from the old tunnels of the Zeche Herkules flows into Aschgraben towards Aschesee pond and on to feed the park's water displays" (Nom File)
- Blaenavon Industrial Landscape
- Greater Blue Mountains: "Coal mining, formerly occurred in parts of Blue Mountains National Park (several major features are the result of cliff collapses). One of the popular visitor attractions is a relic of coal mining - the Scenic Railway at Katoomba. Much of this mining was long ago (late 19th and early 20th century) and is now regarded as a part of the cultural heritage of the area. Nevertheless, the coal mining did impact on the catchments of both the Nepean and Grose catchments of the nominated area" (AB eval). Nearby "Ruined Castle" within the NP boundary has the remains of a Coal Mine. Link
- Messel Pit: "Brown coal and later oil shale was actively mined from 1859." and "Lignite, often referred to as brown coal, is a soft brown combustible sedimentary rock that is formed from naturally compressed peat. It is considered the lowest rank of coal due to its relatively low heat content" (Wiki)
- Mining Sites of Wallonia
- Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin
- Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Coal Mining?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source