Built in the 7th century
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 7th century constructions.
The connection belongs to Timeline connections.
- Armenian Monastic Ensembles: Records on St. Thaddeus and St. Stepanos (649)
- Bam Cultural Landscape: Its heyday was from the 7th to 11th centuries (AB ev)
- Dazu Rock Carvings: "The Dazu Rock Carvings are a series of Chinese religious sculptures and carvings, dating back as far as the 7th century AD, depicting and influenced by Buddhist, Confucian and Taoist beliefs." - wiki
- Ellora Caves: Earliest monuments date from ca. 600 (caves excavated earlier, from 5th century) (AB ev)
- Grand Canal: the canal was completed for the first time in the 7th century AD (AB ev)
- Gyeongju: The Gyeongju Historic Areas contain a remarkable concentration of outstanding examples of Korean Buddhist art, in the form of sculptures, reliefs, pagodas, and the remains of temples and palaces from the flowering, in particular between the 7th and 10th centuries, of this form of unique artistic expression. (There are sites in Gyeongju that are signifigantly older than the 7th century, however the vast majority of inscibed properties are during or after the 7th century, corresponding to the introduction of Buddhism)
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan: Chittorgarh, where Chitrangad, also of the Maurya dynasty, erected a stronghold in the 7th century (AB ev), rest dates from between 8th and 16th centuries
- Horyu-ji Area: Founded in the 7th century, destroyed by fire in 670 and rebuilt almost immediately
- Mahabalipuram: mostly built during the reign of Narasimhavarman I (630 - 668)
- Medina of Sousse: "Although Sousse had Phoenecian, Roman, Vandal and Byzantine manifestations nothing of these remained after its capture and complete destruction by the Arabs. It was rebuilt (albeit with reclaimed Byzantine materials) as a completely new city with its current name in the late 7C. It became ..an important commercial and military port during the Aghlabid period (800-909) and is a typical example of a town dating from the first centuries of Islam" (AB). Only the 'Ribat' (a dual purpose Fort-Monastery) remains from that initial rebuilding period. Other extant structures within the Medina were constructed in the following century e.g The Bu Ftata and Great Mosques.
- Old City of Jerusalem: Dome of the Rock (built 689-691)
- Potala Palace: "The Potala Palace, winter palace of the Dalai Lama since the 7th century, symbolizes Tibetan Buddhism and its central role in the traditional administration of Tibet. Also founded in the 7th century, the Jokhang Temple Monastery is an exceptional Buddhist religious complex." - Nomination File
- Sana'a: the great mosque was built in Mohammad's lifetime
- Tongariro National Park: Arrival of the Maori
- Xochicalco: founded in the second half of the 7th century
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 7th century?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source