Locations that have been regarded as the Center of the World / Axis Mundi / Omphalos (Navel of the World)
The connection belongs to Religion and Belief connections.
- Aksum: Stelae of the Aksumite Empire Link
- Archaeological Site of Delphi
- Fujisan: Japan's highest mountain, Mount Fuji, has long symbolized the world axis in Japanese culture (wiki)
- Gebel Barkal Link
- Istanbul: Hagia Sophia Link
- Kilimanjaro National Park Link
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex Link
- Mount Kenya Link
- Old City of Jerusalem
- Osun-Osogbo Link
- Pyramids (Memphis) Link
- Rome: Umbilicus urbis Romae, a structure in the Roman Forum from where all the Roman roads parted. Link
- Teotihuacan Link
- Uluru Link
- Vatican City: St. Peter's Basilica Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Axis Mundi?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source