Assassinations taken place at a WHS having killed one or more notable persons.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Canterbury: (The Crypt) St Thomas Becket (Dec 29 1170)
- Chief Roi Mata's Domain: Roy Mata was poisened by his brother.
- Fontainebleau: Marchese Gian Rinaldo Monaldeschi (10 February 1657)
- Kaesong: At Sonjuk Bridge famed Confucian scholar and statesman Jeong, Mong-ju was murdered for his refusal to betray the Goryeo Dynasty. His death marks the end of the Goryeo Dynasty, and the emergence of Joseon. - wiki & nomination file
- Lima: Pizarro's Palace (Now Government Palace in the main square) - Pizarro (June 26 1541)
- Loire Valley: (Ch?teau de Blois) Henry I, Duke of Guise (December 23, 1588)
- Lyon: President of France Sadi Carnot outside the Palais de la Bourse 24 Jun 1894 Link
- Matobo Hills: Assassination of Mlimo by Frederick Russell Burnham in one of the Matobo caves in 1896
- Paramaribo: (Courtyard of Fort Zeelandia) 15 Opposition leaders ("Decembermoorden" Dec 8 1982)
- Persian Garden: In 1852 Amir Kabir, the Qajar Chancellor (widely considered to be "Iran's first reformer", a modernizer who was "unjustly struck down" as he attempted to bring "gradual reform" to Iran. As the prime-minister, he also ordered the killing of many Babis and the execution of the founder of the movement, the Báb), was murdered at the bath in the Fin Garden by an assassin sent by King Nasereddin Shah. See - Link
- Prague: (Saint) John of Nepomuk was thrown into the river from Charles Bridge (1393). Plus First Defenestration (1419), resulting in the death of several people including the Mayor. Plus: Cernin Palace - the Czech Foreign Ministry. 10 Mar 1948 Jan Masaryk (the only non communist in the Soviet installed government) was found dead in the courtyard under the bathroom window. At the time it was claimed to be a "suicide". Subsequent investigations have been unclear but the probability is assassination.
- Rome: (Forum near East Portico) Julius Caesar (Mar 15 44BC)
- Spissky Hrad & Levoca: In a lurid sequence of events in 1700, the mayor of Levoca was accidentally wounded by a local nobleman during a hunt, generating a series of revenge attacks, finally resulting in the murder of the mayor, Karol Kramler, a Saxon magistrate.
- St. Petersburg: (Yusupov Palace) Rasputin (Dec 16 1916)
- Tower of London: The Princes Edward and Richard (1483)
- Vatican City: Numerous famous assassinations (real of suspected), the last one being on May 4 1998, when the head of the Swiss Guard, Alois Estermann, his wife and a vice-corporal, Cedric Tornay, have been found dead killed by shotgun. The circumstances of this killing are still subjected to many speculations.
- Westminster: (Westminster Palace) British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval was assassinated by John Bellingham in the lobby of the House of Commons (1812); British MP Airey Neve was assassinated by IRA terrorists in the Palace of Westminster Mar 1979
- White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal: Prince Andrei Bugolyubsky - "Great Prince Andrei spent 17 years of his reign in Bogolyubovo before he was murdered in 1174." (wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Assassinations?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source