Architectural design competitions
Notable constructions (that are part of WHS) where the architectural design was chosen after a competition.
The connection belongs to Architecture connections.
- Brasilia: Lucio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer won a competition to design the new city in 1956
- Central University City Campus of the UNAM: The master plan for the campus was the result of an architectural competition, in which architects Mario Pani and Enrique del Moral were awarded (Unesco website)
- Florence: Brunelleschi won the competition to design the cathedral in 1418.
- Rome: De Sanctis won a competition to design the Spanish Steps in 1717.
- Sydney Opera House: Utzon won a competition to design the opera in 1957.
- Westminster: Westminster Palace - Charles Barry won competition for reconstruction in 1836.
- White City of Tel-Aviv: Dizengoff Circus - 1934. "Won" (actually she was placed 2nd and no 1st prize was awarded!) by Genia Averbuch. Nom File Page 65 - also Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Architectural design competitions?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source