WHS where significant numbers of migratory creatures may be viewed at the appropriate time of year.
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Ahwar of Southern Iraq: ... comprise the last stopover area for millions of migrating birds before entering the vast Arabian Desert. (Nom file)
- Air and Téneré: The massif of the Aïr also constitutes a transit zone for a large number of afrotropical and palaearctic migratory birds. (unesco website)
- Banc d'Arguin: Eastern Atlantic Migratory Flyway, Birds
- Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks: Central and Pacific Flyway (birds)
- Curonian Spit: Birds migratory flyway from North Europe to the of South Europe. Rybatschi holds the oldest bird observatory in the world.
- Danube Delta: The Delta is the major wetland on the flyway between central and eastern Europe and the Mediterranean and Middle East and Africa (birds)
- Djoudj: Eastern Atlantic Migratory Flyway, Birds
- Donana National Park: Eastern Atlantic Migratory Flyway, Birds
- Dong Phayayen: birds such as the spot-billed pelican and greater adjutant migrate through the park
- Fertö/Neusiedlersee: The lake is an important resting place for migratory birds
- Ichkeul National Park: Important stopping-over point for hundreds of thousands of migrating birds each year
- Jeju: Seasonal Bird Migration "Many migratory birds come to Jeju Island because this island is in the courses of the migration of the birds." - Nomination File
- Keoladeo National Park: Thousands of rare and highly endangered birds such as the Siberian Crane come here during the winter season
- Lake Turkana: Migrant waterbirds
- Landscapes of Dauria: resting place for more than 3 million migrating birds within the East Asia - Australasian flyway + supports one of the last truly mass ungulate migrations in Central Asia, that of the Mongolian Gazelle (AB ev)
- Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve: Butterflies
- Peninsula Valdes: Elephant Seals and Southern Right Whales
- Putorana Plateau: "A major reindeer migration route crosses the property, which represents an exceptional, large-scale and increasingly rare natural phenomenon." (unesco website)
- Saloum Delta: East Atlantic Flyway (birds)
- Saryarka: Important stop-over points for migrating birds from Africa, Europe, and South Asia.
- Serengeti: Wildebeest
- Southern Öland: Southern Oland's Ottenby Bird Observatory (migrating birds)
- Srebarna Nature Reserve: Bird migration route
- Tajik National Park: Bar-headed geese and brown-headed gulls migrate to the lakes in the Tajik NP during summer
- Tassili n'Ajjer: The entire region is important for resting migratory Palaearctic birds. (UNEP-WCMC)
- Uvs Nuur Basin: birds
- W-Arly-Pendjari Complex: The Park has wetlands that lie under a major Palaeoarctic-Afrotropical flyway and between February and May over 20,000 aquatic birds congregate there. (UNEP-WCMC)
- Wadden Sea: East Atlantic Flyway, Birds
- Waterton Glacier International Peace Park: The Parks are on the margins of two major avian migratory routes, the Central and Pacific flyways and their marshes and lakes are much used as staging grounds. The bald eagle and migrant peregrine falcon pass through. (UNEP-WCMC)
- Whale Sanctuary of El Vizcaino: El Vizcaino and Wrangel island are the northern and southern "ends" of the Grey whale migration
- Wrangel Island: El Vizcaino and Wrangel island are the northern and southern "ends" of the Grey whale migration
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Animal Migrations?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source