Albatross breeding sites
WHS which include the breeding site of a species of Albatross.
IUCN recognises 22 species of Albatross (Alternative definitions range between 14 and 24) of 4 Genera (Great, N Pacific, Sooty and Mollymawk). 20 are listed in Wiki as breeding within a WHS using its definition of "species" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_albatross_breeding_locations )
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Galapagos Islands: Espanola (Hood Island) - Galapagos (or Waved)
- Gough and Inaccessible Islands: Gough - Tristan, Atlantic yellow-nosed, Sooty Inaccessible - Tristan, Atlantic yellow-nosed
- Heard and McDonald Islands: Wandering, Black-browed, Light-mantled
- Macquarie Island: Wandering, Black-browed, Grey-headed, Light-mantled
- Papahanaumokuakea: Midway and Laysan Islands - Laysan, Black-footed
- Sub-Antarctic Islands: Antipodes Islands - Antipodean (race antipodensis), Shy (race steadi - alternatively considered the "White Capped" species), Black-browed, Light-mantled Auckland Islands - Gibson's, Southern royal (Enderby only), Northern royal (Enderby only), Shy (race steadi), Light-mantled Bounty Islands - Salvin's Campbell - Antipodean (race antipodensis), Southern royal, Black-browed, Campbell, Grey-headed, Light-mantled, Sooty Snares - Salvin's, Black-browed, Buller's
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Albatross breeding sites?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source