History Fangirl Profile
Visited Sites History FangirlToggle Missing/Visited
- ●● Cultural
- ●● Natural
- ●● Mixed
Recent Reviews History Fangirl
Medieval Monuments in Kosovo History Fangirl
I visited the Medieval Monuments in Kosovo last week while staying in Pristina. I only had enough time to see Gracanica Monastery, but I very much enjoyed my time there.
The monastery is a lot like other medieval Orthodox Churches on the UNESCO list, but I thought the frescoes inside the church were especially vibrant.
I did not have a hard time getting there. I read online that the easiest way from Pristina to Grananica was to get a taxi arranged by your hostel or hotel. It cost me 15 euros for a taxi there and bring me back to the city.
Boyana Church History Fangirl
Boyana Church is in a quiet, upscale neighborhood on the outskirts of Sofia. It has three distinct eras of construction, from the 10th, 13th, and 19th centuries. The church was restored and maintained with the support of Queen Eleonora, whose grave is on the site.
Inside, there are original frescoes, including one I particularily liked of St. Sofia.
Visiting is easy, it's a quick (maybe 10-15 leva) taxi ride from almost anywhere in the city. In Boyana neighborhood is a movie studio, so if you want to try your luck at spotting American actors on a lunch break, head to the restaurant Cinnecitta nearby afterward.
Rila Monastery History Fangirl
I love Rila Monastery! I visited it twice, once last fall and again this spring.
The monastery is gorgeous, and has become a symbol of the resillience of the Bulgarian people throughout centuries of opression.
The main church is done in Neo-Byzantine style. It was built in the 19th century after a fire destroyed most of the buildings. There is a tower that is from the 13th century. The monastery was begun towards the end of the first millenium AD.
I have a longer write up here: UNESCO World Heritage Site: Rila Monastery.
Budapest History Fangirl
Budapest's entry on the WHS list encompasses a wide territory. I went to all three sections (the Banks of the Danube, the Buda Castle Quarter, and Andrassy Avenue). My visit was in February of this year.
The banks of the Danube are gorgeous. It's impossible not to be awed seeing the Parliament at night on the river. I did a night cruise, and I would highly recommend it.
Andrassy Avenue was a great street to walk down in the afternoon. The Terror House Museum, while not officially part of the inscribed territory, was one of my favorite parts of Budapest.
Les Plages du Débarquement, Normandie, 1944 (T) History Fangirl
I visited all 5 landing beaches of Normandy and the Pointe du Hoc this week. The site is expected to become a World Heritage Site in 2019 for the 75th anniversary.
The museum at Utah Beach was very good, giving a great overview of the timeline for that beach and the Americans as a whole. The Juno Beach Center was a great way to learn about the Canadian involvement in D-Day plus it was a great overview of Canadian history as a whole.
Highlights: Canada House, La Cambe German War Cemetary, Normandy American Cemetary, and Gold Beach.
I would highly recommend going during June for the anniversaries if you're interested in meeting veterans and hearing their stories. We met American, Canadian, and German veterans.
Name: History Fangirl
Country: United States
Visited WHS: 67
Most Impressive: Amalfi Coast
Proposal New WHS: Temple of Poseidon on Cape Sounion
- Um er-Rasas
- Rio de Janeiro
- Struve Geodetic Arc
- Berlin Modernism Housing Estates
- Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum
- Megalithic Temples of Malta
- Amsterdam Canal Ring
- Wadi Rum
- Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan"
- San Antonio Missions
- Old City of Jerusalem
- Cahokia Mounds
- Rila Monastery
- La Fortaleza
- Vatican City
- Statue of Liberty
- Quseir Amra
- Painted Churches in the Troödos Region
- Studenica Monastery
- Archaeological Site of Delphi
- Boyana Church
- Tower of London
- Taos Pueblo
- Monasteries of Daphni, Hosios Loukas and Nea Moni of Chios
- Berat and Gjirokastra
- Monastery of Horezu
- Medieval Monuments in Kosovo
- Colonia del Sacramento
- Belize Barrier Reef
- Independence Hall
- Costiera Amalfitana
- Grand Place, Brussels
- Museumsinsel (Museum Island)
- Villa Adriana (Tivoli)
- Mycenae and Tiryns
- Stari Ras and Sopocani
- Ohrid Region
- Amalienborg and its district (T)
- Ancient Jericho: Tell es-Sultan (T)
- Architecture Moderne du XX siècle de la Ville de Montevideo (T)
- Baptism Site “Eshria’a” (Al-Maghtas) (T)
- Brooklyn Bridge (T)
- Central Balkan National Park (T)
- Central Park (T)
- Cittadella (Victoria - Gozo) (T)
- Coastal Cliffs (T)
- Ellis Island (T)
- Extension to the Joint World Heritage Property "Primeval Beech forests of the Carpathians (Slovak Republic and Ukraine) and the Ancient Beech forests of Germany (Germany)" (T)
- Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings (T)
- Hala Sultan Tekke and the Larnaka Salt Lake Complex (T)
- Historic Center of the Port City of Odessa (T)
- Jerusalem (T)
- Knights Fortifications around the Harbours of Malta (T)
- Kyiv: Saint Sophia Cathedral with Related Monastic Buildings, St. Cyril's and St. Andrew's Churches, Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra (T)
- La Rambla (promenade maritime) de la Cité de Montevideo (T)
- Le Palais de Justice de Bruxelles (T)
- Les Plages du Débarquement, Normandie, 1944 (T)
- Mdina (Citta Vecchia) (T)
- Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid Region (T)
- Natural and Cultural Landscape of Danube Region (T)
- Qawra/Dwejra (T)
- The Ancient Plovdiv (T)
- The Burren (T)
- The Turf House Tradition (T)
- Thingvellir National Park (T)
- Victoria Lines Fortifications (T)
- VIKING MONUMENTS AND SITES / Thingvellir National Park (T)
- Western Stone Forts (T)